Project Big Girls’ Room

Project Big Girls' Room

Little Miss learned how to climb out of her crib, so we had to transition to a big bed a little sooner than I anticipated. It has spurred on a pretty fun room make-over. We didn’t find out her gender before she was born, so I’ve never done a super girly room. Turns out, I sort of love pink and purple! I won’t give too much away yet, but it’s going to be lots of fun and perfect for the two most precious little girls on the planet!

Advertisements

rollin’ in the dough

rollin' in dough

We have a Summer Bucket List 2013 with about 45 fun things (and some learning things) that we want to do this summer. We’ve marked off 8 of them so far and have a couple in the works. We’ll see if we can get them all done!

Last week, we made our own Play Doh. I hadn’t done this since I was little, and it was so fun and nostalgic! The smell instantly took me back to childhood.

Here’s a link to the recipe we used – it turned out perfect! http://www.kristanlynn.com/2011/09/best-play-dough-recipe.html

little art project

We were perfectly content in our 1200 square foot house, when God dropped this 2000 square foot one in our laps to make room for this baby #4 that we didn’t know we were going to have.  It needed quite a bit of TLC.  We tried hard to use what we already had to furnish and decorate it, and really haven’t had to buy much!  One spot that needed a little something, though, was the kids’ bathroom.  It’s also our guest bath, so we wanted to keep it neutral.  We painted the walls one of our favorite colors – Valspar Moose Mousse, and added simple white and tan accents.  The kids’ towel hooks will be on one wall, but we still needed something on the wall above the toilet.  (We must be good friends now – we’re talking about toilets.)
DSC_0151

I got some cheap canvases at Walmart, and mixed up some acrylic paint I already had to make the perfect color.
DSC_0147 DSC_0150

I had a little helper assist me in painting the canvases this solid tan.
DSC_0148

After it had completely dried, we put these doilies on top of the canvases and spray painted the whole thing white.  We waited just about 20 seconds for the paint to set, and then removed the doilies.

DSC_0154

Ta da!  A cheap wall project (under $15) with just a hint of ethnic flair.  Perfect!

I got my original inspiration about a year ago from this site:
http://shealynnbenner.com/2012/05/tutorial-7-spray-painted-doily-canvas/

fun little craft

I saw this craft online a while ago, and it reminded me of something I did as a preteen.  I loved it then, and thought it was pretty great now, too!  I made little Africa shaped paper ornaments that are scented and have seeds inside – so they’re plantable.  It took most of the evening, but I was also putting kids to bed, and if you just wanted to make one batch it could be a lot quicker.  A couple of heads up before you go check out the directions – you do need some sort of screen or mold to press them into, and she recommends using a blender that you won’t also be using for food.  I didn’t know those things in advance, so I had to get a little creative.  (Is it called creativity to take the torn screen door off of the sunroom and use it to press scented seed papers?!)

Anyway, here are the basic steps, and you can get more detailed directions here, where I found my directions.

They turned out really cute!  We’re going to use them to tuck in our adoption thank you notes.  I hope people will like them!

Photo095

Photo096 Photo097 Photo098

sportin’ some spirit

I really wanted all of us to be able to sport some cool Africa shirts, but we couldn’t really spring getting all 5 of us shirts from our shop.  So, of course, I turned to Pinterest.  🙂

I picked up a bleach pen and some cheap tee shirts for the kids.  I traced a printed out Africa with the bleach, and put a little star around where Ethiopia is.  I let the bleach set for a little bit, maybe 10 minutes, then rinsed and washed them.  The green one might need another layer of bleach, but I think the blue one turned out pretty cool.

Photo076

Oddly, the orange one didn’t work at all!  I left the bleach on for about 20 minutes and…nothing.  So, I traced again with some puff paint that I already had on hand.  It’s maybe a little more girly that way, anyway.  (Don’t forget to hang-dry puff painted tees.)
Photo078_e1

Voila!  Cool, cheap, quick Africa shirts!  I want to do some applique ones for the girls (ha! my first time to say that!) at some point after I get some practice at it and figure out my ‘new’ vintage sewing machine.  But this is a fun option for the boys, for sure.

Total cost for all three – $13.41 (okay, plus tax).  My day = made!

Here’s the site where I found the instructions.